Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Reality....Really?

Last night my sister had a friend over and was doing her hair. They're both 25ish... I think (I really am a good sister), and both are educated. So after the movie we were watching went off, nothing else was on that was good to watch; at least, nothing good to me. My sister gets the remote and turns to VH1 and they're horrible run of "reality shows". First was Daisy of Love and then whatever that crazy ass show with that drag-queenesque woman/man/weave monster New York.

Now, I don't know about you but I don't find anything appealing about two overly plastic, probably coked up women. Nothing is funny, nothing is cute...it's actually quite sad. As a young, ambitious woman, it's hard to see how these girls could degrade themselves to such low standards. Nothing more than attention whores really. What happened to the days of sitcom television anyway?

Have we really sunken so low as a culture that we are willing to accept a spoiled black girl washing dogs for way more money than actual dog groomers get as entertainment? It doesn't even have to be educational but somewhat amusing would be nice. And the monotony of these shows really gets me thinking, what is the point? I say it over and over again but life is to short to be waisting time on that crap. What happened to reading a book? (funny I know)

But seriously, when do people find time to be creative and self reflective in a world like this? And to those who genuinely enjoy these shows, I'm not trying to knock you or anything, but what is the deal? I admit, when Flava of Love first came on, I was one of those that were hooked. I watched every week to see what crazy mess those girls were going to get into. But after three years and countless Of Love and Challenge shows, I can't take it anymore. It's really time for something new.


Even this show had more substance than the stuff they have on now-a-days





No comments: